CHARLES T MAHER
‘Holy Trinity Church Fleet’. The ‘New’ Church at Fleet in Dorset, built after the old church was swept away after the sea burst through Chesil Bank in The Great Storm of 1824 and flooded the area which also destroyed a number of the village’s houses. Owing to the extent of the church’s damage, the Rector of Fleet, Rev. George Gould, decided to have a new church constructed at his expense which he built in 1827–29, sited 540 yards inland from the original church.
Unframed oil on stretched canvas 40 x 50 cm, strung and ready to hang.